What It Is.
The READeasy Writers’ Group meets every two months, alternating with the SPEAKeasy Performers’ Group, at the Forest Café. Whether you are a poet, novelist, scriptwriter, something else, or haven’t yet made up your mind, the READeasy Writers’ Group is yours. We meet to read and talk about each other’s work in a fun, safe, and constructive environment. It is a special (and free) opportunity to get feedback, to experience new writing, and to hear your work read aloud — and it’s anonymous, so you can feel completely at ease.
How We Work.
- Every month a group of writers meets in a cosy café to discuss their work. Each member submits a piece of writing for the group, these are anonymised and printed out, everyone is given one piece to read, and then we take turns reading the piece aloud and giving feedback.
- To attend for a session, just drop us an email at email@example.com, with a piece of your writing attached. Any genre, and extracts are certainly allowed, but the limit is about 500 words, so that we’ve time to read them all. Also, please use either .pdf, .odt or .doc (not .docx!) file formats.
- Come along on the night, and we will read each piece aloud and chat about it. (Let us know if you’re not going to be able to attend, so that we can make your space available to someone else.) Bring wine! Bring words! Bring a notepad! Bring your wonderful mind!
- Places are limited, so please send your email a few days in advance to make sure you get a space. (Please note also, that only those who have submitted a piece themselves can come – if you want to just come and listen to amazing new writing, then please come to our Open Mic.)
- The discussion is really informal, so don’t feel you have to be an authority on literary criticism, or, well, on anything.
To find out when the next READeasy is, check the events diary.